Tuesday, September 22, 2026

The laundry bag make over story


    A Long-Pending DIY That Finally Made It to the Blog!

This is one of those DIY projects that has been sitting in my “to post” list for way too long! 😄

Back in 2024, I repurposed an IKEA JÄLL laundry bag and gave it a completely new purpose. I had planned to share the transformation right away, but somehow life got in the way—and the post kept getting delayed.

Well, 2.5 years later, I can finally say that this DIY has passed the durability test! 🎉

The original polyethylene material eventually started wearing out, so instead of throwing the bag away, I decided to give it another makeover. I also ended up purchasing two more JÄLL laundry bags from IKEA over time and repurposed those as well once the original material wore out.

The best part? I was able to use my old bedsheets to create the new bags. It turned out to be a great way to reuse fabric that would otherwise have been discarded.

Was the process perfect? Definitely not! 😂 There was quite a bit of trial and error involved—measuring, cutting, stitching, redoing things, and figuring out what worked along the way.

The final bags aren't perfect, but they are functional, sturdy, and serve the purpose beautifully. And for me, that's what makes this DIY a success.

What started as a simple attempt to repurpose an IKEA laundry bag turned into a little experiment in upcycling, reusing old fabric, and giving everyday things a second life.




The finished repurposed laundry bag! An old patterned bedsheet was transformed into a completely new fabric liner while the original IKEA frame was reused.

I especially love that the frame itself didn't need to be replaced. A little fabric and some sewing gave the whole thing a second life.




One of the trickiest parts was figuring out how to attach the fabric securely to the frame.

I created fabric loops around the top of the bag so that it could be supported by the existing frame. The sides and bottom were sewn together to create the bag shape.



The construction wasn't completely perfect, and you can definitely see some of my DIY learning curve in the stitching. 😄

But after using it for years, I've learned that functionality matters more to me than a perfectly finished seam.


Sometimes, DIY doesn't have to be perfect. If it works, lasts, and keeps something out of the trash, I'd call that a win! ♻️❤️


Hope it helps !!


No comments:

Post a Comment